Renaissance building with a beautiful exhibition
The construction of the Palazzo Altemps was begun in 1477 by Girolami Riario but completed only 100 years later by Cardinal Altemps. The beautiful Renaissance palace today contains a permanent exhibition with more than 150 exhibits from different collections. The 33 frescoed halls house the collections of the National Museum of Rome, the collection Matei and the sculpture collection of the Roman Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi. The highlight of the exhibition is the Ludovisi throne from the 5th Century B.C. The significant relief on the throne most likely depicts the birth of Aphrodite from the sea. Other interesting exhibits are the head of Hera Juno, the satyr of the school of Praxiteles, a bust of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius and statues of the god Ares and of Orestes and Electra from the 1st Century.