Mausoleum of Augustus
Mausoleo di Augustus
Monumental tomb of the Emperor Augustus
Shortly before his death, the Emperor Augustus had built a giant mausoleum for himself and his Julii-Claudian family. The huge mound, with a diameter of 90 metres, was built entirely in the style of ancient kings and has hosted several grave chambers. The entrance to the mausoleum was flanked by 2 obelisks, which can today be found on the Piazza Quirinale and on the back square of the church of Santa Maria Maggiore. In addition, the Res Gestae, two bronze plaques, which gave an account of the reign of Augustus, used to hang here. The plaques were not preserved and are only known from inscriptions. In the Middle Ages, the Romans used the mausoleum as a fortress until it was destroyed by Pope Gregory IX in 1241. After that, it served as a garden, amphitheatre, concert hall and vineyard, until it was returned to its original state in 1936.