Jewish community in Rome
The area around the synagogue was declared a ghetto by Pope Paul IV in 1555. The walls of the ghetto were torn down after the end of the Papal States in 1870. Consecrated in 1904, the synagogue is now regarded as a landmark of the ghetto and of the Jewish community of Rome. Based on a cross plan, the synagogue represents different styles. The artful original painting is highly ornamental, but still has a special charm. Connected to the synagogue is a small museum, which houses precious Torah scrolls as well as gold and silver works from the 18th Century. Today, about 17,000 Roman Jews live around the synagogue, who live an active cultural and social life. Many kosher stores and restaurants can therefore be found in the neighbourhood.