Jesuit church in Rome
After the founding of the Jesuit order in 1540 by St. Ignatius Loyola, the order gained influence relatively quickly in Rome. After the Church of Il Gesù, the church of Sant’Ignazio was the second Jesuit church in Rome, which was built in honour of the founder in 1650. The architect was the Jesuit Orazio Grassi and the construction was financed by Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi. The baroque church with its two-storey façade is impressive in its interior with a large, far-flung room with numerous side chapels and magnificent decor. A marble plate on the ground right at the main entrance marks the point where the magnificent perspective ceiling frescoes by Andrea Pozzo are best viewed. "Entrance to Paradise" and "The Four Continents evangelised" celebrate the triumph of St. Ignatius.