Beautiful Renaissance Palace and Art Gallery
The Palazzo Pallavicini-Rospigliosi was built on the Quirinals hill in 1616 by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, nephew of Pope Paul V. The Renaissance palace with a terraced garden area stands on the ruins of the ancient Baths of Constantine. The curved staircase was created by Carlo Maderno, the impressive ceiling fresco in the winter garden is by Guido Reni. At the end of the 17th Century, the palace fell to the Pallavicini-Rospigliosi family, whose name it bears today.
Worth seeing in the picture gallery are the "Holy Family" by Luca Signorelli, the "Burial of Saint Francis" by Lorenzo Monaco and "Triumph of Chastity" by Lorenzo Lotto in the red room. In the bedchamber the "Landscape with flute-playing children" by Claude Lorrain and the "Virgin and Child" by Federico Barocci deserve special attention. In the green room, the "Helene Fourment" by Peter Paul Rubens and a portrait of a noble by van Dyck as well as a genre scene of Velázquez are worth seeing.