The famous Circus Maximus
The famous Circus Maximus in Rome is first mentioned in records from 329 B.C. With a length of 550 metres and a width of 80 metres, it was large enough for spectacular chariot races with quadrigas. The racecourse offered space for an incredible 150,000 spectators who enjoyed the competition. The rests of the ruins around the Circus belong to buildings from the time of Nero and Trajan. The 24-metre high obelisk of Axum, which stood at the south-eastern end of the Circus Maximus until 2005, was brought to Rome after the Abyssinian War in 1937 and placed here. In 2005, the Italian State gave it back to the Ethiopians.