Porta San Francesco
Porta del Loco
San Francesco Gate
San Francesco Gate or “City Gate” (known in Italian as Porta San Francesco, Porto del Lucho or Porta del Loco) is the city gate of San Marino. It was built in 1361 in order to protect against the army of the Malatesta, transfigured in 1451 and restored in 1581. Porta del Loco is part of the third ring of the city walls. The original gate was raised up by the construction of a tower with pinnacles and machicoulis. To this day, the coats of arms of San Marino and the Feltresca family can be seen. The old sentries are still visible in the inside, which is unfortunately not open to the public. A 17th century inscription warning visitors against severe penalties for the import of weapons can be seen below the arch of the gate.
Porta del Loco leads directly into the city. The Church of St Francesco, which hosts the museum with pinacotheca inside, can be seen on the right.