The city walls
UNESCO World Heritage Site San Marino
The historic city centre of San Marino was declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2008. It is surrounded by the historic city walls with gates, towers and parapet walks on three sides. The city wall formed around the Guaita fortress, presumably in the 10th century. The second ring of walls followed in the 14th, the third one in the 15th century. The walls are entered through San Francesco Gate, the “City Gate” (known in Italian as Porta San Francesco, Porto del Lucho or Porta del Loco), which was built in 1361 to guard against the Malatesta family and gives direct access to the Chiesa di San Francesco with museum and pinacotheca. The rock gate Porta della Rupe, the old entrance to the city, leads directly onto the street to the mercatale.