Church of the Redeemer and Palladian masterpiece
The Il Redentore church is certainly an eye-catcher on the island of Giudecca. The church of the Redeemer (Redentore = redeemer) is one of the main works by the famous architect Andrea Palladio and was built in 1576 in gratitude for the end of the plague. Palladio’s plans were based on ancient models and so Il Redentore appears today in the form of a Roman temple. In fact, the front facade looks like the Pantheon in Rome. The focal point of the single nave church building is the massive dome that rises up in the centre of the church. After Palladio’s death, Antonio da Ponte, the architect who designed the Rialto Bridge, completed the church.
After Il Redentore was inaugurated, the church was handed over to the Franciscans who took care of it. Every year the Doge came on a floating bridge of boats to the church for a thanksgiving mass. This custom has survived until today, and every third Sunday in July Venice celebrates the festival of the redeemer. However, the festival procession no longer marches over floating boats but has its own pontoon bridge which is constructed once a year for the festival.
free entrance with Chorus pass
Landing stage: Redentore