Beautiful church in the district of the same name
Almost hidden in the district of San Polo is the church of the same name – dedicated to the Apostle Paul – the church of San Polo. It was built in the 15th century on the walls of a previous building and rebuilt again in the 19th century. Therefore the interior is an interesting combination of an old wooden keel ceiling and classical elements of pale marble. The most beautiful art works inside the church are by two main artists, Tintoretto and Tiepolo. Tintoretto created the “Last Supper” on the left side of the entrance while Giovanni Battista Tiepolo painted “Mary appears to St. John Nepomuk” at the second altar on the left-hand side. The 14 stations of the cross are some of Giovanni Domenico’s, the son of Tiepolo, earliest works.
Until 1750 a canal ran along the east side of Campo San Polo. Based on the curved line of the houses you can imagine the course of the canal quite well. The Palazzo Corner Mocenigo, opposite San Polo, is a late work by Michele Sanmicheli from the 16th century.
free entrance with Chorus pass
Landing stage: San Silvestro or San Tomà