Imposing Baroque palace on the Canale Grande
The wealthy merchant family Pesaro commissioned the famous Baroque architect Baldassare Longhena to build the Ca’ Pesaro in 1676. The architect himself died before the palace was finished in 1710. In 1898 the Ca’ Pesaro was given to the city of Venice, which completed restoration work for the building in 2003. Today the palace is once again open to the public and houses the Galleria d’Arte Moderna and the Museo d’Arte Orientale. The Gallery of Modern Art includes paintings and sculptures from the19th and 20th centuries. The most important works among them are “Judith II” by Gustav Klimt, “Rabbi of Vitebsk” by Marc Chagall and the “The Bather” by Max Klinger.
The Museum of Oriental Art on the third floor is mainly based on the collection of Count Enrico of Bourbon-Bardi who collected nearly 30,000 exhibits of various genres and origins which are presented in alternating exhibitions.
Landing stage: San Staè