Three-aisled basilica in the centre
The Basilica Collegiata is located immediately after the venerable University of Catania on the Via Etnea. Originally a small chapel, the church won growing importance throughout history and has been expanded into a three-aisled basilica. As the kings of Aragon and her court preferred the church, it was nicknamed the "Royal Palace Chapel" (Regia cappella). Since 1446 a priest college has been connected, which gives it its present name "Collegiata".
After being destroyed by the eruption of Mount Etna in 1669, the church was rebuilt. The exterior façade was designed by the architect Stefano Ittar.