Basilica San Marino
Basilica di San Marino
The Church of Saint Marinus
Basilica di San Marino is the highest church of San Marino. It was erected on the foundation walls of the (pre)Romanic parish church, one of the oldest Christian monuments, which was first mentioned in 530 and demolished in 1807 due to structural damage, in neo-classical style by the Bologna-based architect Achille Serra from 1826 to 1838. Pope Pius XI raised its status to Basilica minor in 1926.
The main portal of the three-nave church is adorned with two rows of six Corinthian pillars each. Seven abundantly decorated altars can be found in the equally Corinthian interior. Numerous invaluable statues and paintings can be seen, among which are the statue of Saint Marinus by Adamon Tadolini and the reliquary at the main altar, where the relics of the national saint discovered in 1586 are kept. Also inside the church are an organ by Giacomo Bazzani from 1835 and an old throne of the Capitani Reggenti. The early Romanic bell tower with seven bells from the 17th century is a remnant of the previous building.