La Rocca Stellata
Rocca Possente di Stellata
Castle for surveillance and monitoring
Together with its twin castle on the opposite shore, the Rocca Possente in Fiacrolo was used for the supervision of shipping traffic near the spring of the Po River. The fortification also served to monitor the northern dominion of the Este. During a flood in 1670 the castle in Ficarolo was destroyed and the Rocca Possente was rebuilt into its modern form. These days it is used for events and exhibitions. The only surviving relict of the original building is the star-shaped defensive structure, the Stellata, which gave the village its name.