Place of Interest
Lovely Renaissance town in the mountains
Feltre is a good example of a Renaissance city from the 16th century. Emperor Maximilian completely destroyed the city in 1510 with his troops. The immediate repair by the Venetians in the style of that time still allows a good insight into the structures of a real renaissance city. Feltre itself was inhabited in Roman times and was rebuilt in the Middle Ages on the small hill in order to have a better defensive position against potential attackers. Like the rest of the province of Belluno it came under Venetian rule in 1404.
Attractions in Feltre
A long main street runs through the historic city of Feltre up a hill. Many beautiful buildings with faded frescoes line the main thoroughfare and open onto the Piazza Maggiore in an almost stage-like space – without doubt one of the highlights of Feltre. There are still statues of Venetian lion and some famous citizens in the middle of the square. Just next to the Piazza Maggiore is the Palazzo della Ragione, the former seat of the Venetian city government, with its beautiful portico and the church of San Rocco. The great hall of the Palazzo from the 17th century was rebuilt as the Teatro de la Sena and has been the location of many brilliant performances. Diagonally across the square tower are the remains of the former fortress of Feltre, which was destroyed in the 16th century. Other attractions in Feltre are the Cathedral of San Pietro at the foot of the hill, the Museo Civico in the Via Luzzo and the Galleria d’Arte Moderna “Carlo Rizzarda” in the Via Paradiso, which houses among exhibits a fine collection of forged iron art by Count Rizzarda. The Sanctuary of Santi Vittore e Corona, an old monastery with a beautiful cloister and a medieval church, can be found a few miles southeast of the town. From the monastery you can enjoy a beautiful view over the valley. The Lago del Corlo west of Feltre is a popular holiday destination for campers and an idyllic place to sleep amongst the mountains.