Bologna’s city hall
A fortress-like building with characteristic Gothic pointed arches rises behind the impressive Fountain of Neptune. That building is Palazzo Comunale. Bologna’s city hall used to belong to the Accursio family and, thus, is also known as Palazzo d’Accursio. The city already bought the building in 1287 and set up quarters for the council of elders starting in 1336. Ever since a fire in the early 15th century the right wing carries a distinctive Renaissance mark. A bronze statue in front of the gateway commemorates the Bolognese Pope Gregory XIII.
City hall museums
Bologna’s school of painting has its very own small museum inside Palazzo Comunale. Collezioni Comunali d’Arte is located on the second floor uniting works from the 12th to the 20th century. Sculptures, furniture and decoration found a new home here as well. Museo Morandi’s eleven halls are dedicated to Giorgio Morandi, one of the most famous Italian painters of recent history. The museum displays his drawings, etchings and paintings that mostly cover city motifs, flowers and still lifes.